Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:47:28 -0800
From:         Doug F <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: FRONT TIRE MOUNT

I refuse to be forced to run a spare rear carrier on the back of my syncro just to run larger tires. As soon as the next round of $ and time go into the syncro the VC is getting either welded solid or replaced with a solid shaft and a de-coupler installed.

I will run a standard steel wheel 195 tire in the spare well under the van with it's low CG and less weight. With the decoupler I believe you can run a smaller dia tire on any corner with no ill effect. Also allows you to TOW the darn thing.

Rant - hate the VC design and wish they left things in a manual mode like the early decoupler equipped syncros first had. The VC in my 87 is currently out and does not kick in at all. When I first got the van it scrubbed in parking lots and now it doesn't even work. JUNK that is expensive to fix only to have it go out AGAIN!

Bye Bye VC!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Overmyer" <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 5:31 PM Subject: Re: FRONT TIRE MOUNT

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:12:03 EST From: JordanVw@AOL.COM Subject: Re: FRONT TIRE MOUNT

bad idea for a watercooled van....but i have seen spares mounted on the fron= t=20 of aircooled vanagons before. anyway, best option is a rear swing out carrier.. they are available.. not=20 cheap, but they are available.

Chris

Absolutely bad idea on the WBX...you do not want to restrict the air flow to the radiator. I am fairly sure in the manual that came with my '92, there was a specific paragraph to that effect.

I have been thinking of ways to carry my 5th 15" alloy wheel when travelling....normally I leave it at home for short trips and just have the original spare in it's place under the front of the van. I have lower profile tyres on the 15" rims so the diameter has remained the same should I ever need to use the spare. On longer trips the 15" spare alloy sometimes just sits on the floor where a middle seat would otherwise be...which can be a nuisance...my dog Iggy Pup doesn't like it much either :-)

The rear swing out carriers look nice but are expensive and I have seen several 16" syncros where the OEM fitted rear carrier has caused fatigue cracks at the attachment points in the back of the vans. Not that most of us with 2WD vans will possibly get the same problems that may occur with a 16" syncro however I still have a real issue with drilling into the rear of my bodywork and possibly speeding up corrosion in that area...

What I have thought about doing, was to get a rear bicycle carrier....do you have the ones in the US that attach under the tow ball of the tow bar ? Anyway we do in Oz and there are some cheap crappy ones and there are good ones that not only are very strong, but also have a pin in them that can be released and folded down to allow access to the rear hatch of a van or even the boot (trunk to most of you) of a sedan. Some even lift right out once the pins are removed. Some of these bike racks are so designed that the use of them does not preclude the towing of a trailer either.

Now if I were to cut one of these bike racks down, weld on a plate with nuts & splines to attach the spare alloy, I could have a rear mounted spare, independent of the bodywork that could still swing down or remove to access the rear hatch or check oil and coolant level. Because the rack would be cut down to a shorter height than originally designed for bicycles, the greater weight of the wheel would not create such a moment around the attachment point and would sit snugly just above the bumper.

I would still need to re-mount the rear number plate and light when I used this arrangement but that's not much effort and an additional number plate light could just plug into the trailer plug.

It'd be a damn sight cheaper than the swing away carrier...albeit not as cool ;-) Anyone see why this would be a bad idea ? (other than it might not aesthetically appeal to some)

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)