Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 21:02:54 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: wanted ... dashboard ash tray
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

Nice job, John.

I'm going to be installing 3 gauges to start with and even if I were do like you did, the third gauge would take up part of the ash tray space.

My Westy is 4 speed so I don't have the shifter cover to work with but I do keep a warmer/cooler/cupholder console between the seats.

My installation of the dash console entailed using liquid nails to attach pieces of wood to the dash pad then screwing the console to the wood. I learned that liquid nails does come off the dash pad without damage but it takes LOTS of work (in case I ever want to go back to stock). The way I arrived at what thickness of wood to use is ... I covered the dash with plastic wrap then used modeling clay in several spots to "Gauge" the distance from the dash to the console.

Mike '84 GL 7 pass '85 GL Westy

John Bange wrote: >> I'm going to install some gauges in my dash mounted console and I want >>the ash tray just for it's ability to cover the hole at the top. >> >>The gauges will be right in front of where the ash tray would normally be. >> > > > Just curious, but why at the ash tray? Personally, I put my two gauges all > the way to the left by chopping out the drink holder and epoxying the very > bottom of the drink well into the hole on top: > <http://raq.foodhammer.net/pics/dash-gauges1.jpg> > <http://raq.foodhammer.net/pics/dash-gauges2.jpg> > I didn't see much point saving a drink holder that was only suitable for a > 12oz can-- but I have flip down holders on each side of the auto shift > console. > > Also, out of curiosity, what was your mounting method? > -- > John Bange > '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" >