Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:33:59 -0500
From:         Bob Mac <BOBMACDOWELL@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: propane pressure in severe cold

I just recently did the x-tend-a-stay conversion on my 84 westy. I took the van up to the catskills last weekend and hooked up the barbie tank outside the van to run the new propex heater. Temps outside were about 12 degrees. The heater worked fine until the gas in the tank reached the outside temp. About 1 hr. Thought it was the battery, tested it ,bat. good. Thought it was frozen, nothing frozen. Decided to turn that tank off and turn on the westy tank, worked fine all night. Temps the following night in the 20's. Put the barbie tank back on worked fine all night long. It has something with the surface area of the liquid boiling off into a gas. A tank standing up that is 6 in diameter and 30 in long has a 6 in circle of gas exposed. Take that same tank and lay it down, you now have 6 in by 30 in of gas exposed. The more liquid gas exposed the more gas it produces.I know it sounds hard to understand but this was the way it was explained to me. By-the-way the extend-a-stay tee works great. I can hook up the barbie tank or in an emergency i use the westy tank and carry a 1 lb bottle just in case i run out. I made an adapter to go on to the 1 in. threaded male that comes with the extend-a-stay adaptor.This adapter consists of 2 female post adapters 1 close nipple and 1 coupling all in 1/4 in npt. If your westy tank runs out in the middle of dinner just break out the adapter and a 1 lb. bottle. Twist it on and your back in business.