Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:16:48 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: "enough" vs "too much" monitoring,
              was: permanent fuel pressure gauge
Comments: To: ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>

I'm a big proponent of exhaust gas temperature gages (EGT). I have flown many a piston powered airplane with the EGT installed, and lived through the period in aviation when such first came on the market, first in the airliners then they began to trickle into the general aviation market. In the old days - in my time - only a cylinder head temperature gage was installed with a single connection to a copper washer under a spark plug. That was expanded to a washer under each plug - each connected to the cockpit gage, with a selector switch so one could monitor the heat on each cylinder. Later the gage would read all cylinder head temps at once. The drawback was they were slow to respond to power changes. But when everything was stable, the multi-temp readouts were reliable and you could tell if a cylinder was running to hot - or cold. Later came the first EGT systems, first with a single point sensor and gage set for only one exhaust port, and later set ups were designed to read the exhaust gas temperature just a few inches down stream from all the exhaust port on the engine . These EGTS were highly accurate and since the pilot manually controlled the fuel flow AND the mixture, he could adjust the mixture - and therefore the temperature - of the exhaust. At cruise, the pilot could - by watching the gage - set the power up for rich best power, best power, and lean best power, depending on what he was trying to accomplish - speed or range. He could - by watching that gage and monitoring the exhaust gas temperature on each cylinder, set the power by the leanest cylinder and thus avoid burning up that lean cylinder.

I have often thought about how it would be to have such a system installed on the Vanagon. Virtually all of the engines - both air cooled and water cooled - could benefit from such a system. When cruising down I-40 west of OK City I burned a piston and the engine failed. Had I had an EGT system installed in my van that hot running cylinder would have shown up long before things got to that point, and steps could have been taken to avoid the problem.

EGT systems don't provide much useful information in city driving where there is a lot of stop and go. But on the road, in cruise configuration, they can tell you a lot about your engine. The ECU monitors and controls fuel flow from data from the O2 sensor and other points, but it does not do any monitoring and control using data from the hot exhaust at each cylinder.

EGT systems on small aircraft consist of probes that are mounted by drilling a hole in each exhaust stack just a couple of inches or so from the exhaust pipe flange the distance of which is usually specified by the manufacturer. The probe is inserted into the hole and thus into the stream of the hottest ehaust gases and held in place by a stainless steel strap or hose clamp. Simple really so I don't know why it could not be done on a van. Maybe one day someone will test one out. on a Vanagon.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver x2