Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:37:33 -0500
From:   John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   Re: Tiico Parts Availability?

TIICO did a great job bringing an affordable engine conversion to the Vanagon community. Unfortunately they didn't sort out the inherent 2nd harmonic "buzziness" associated with any I-4 engine (the exception being Mitsubishi and Porsche I-4's which used a Mitsubishi designed counterbalancer). Vibration is extremely destructive to any engine installation. I-4's can be quieted down with proper development and "tuning" of everything bolted to it. But it does take work and TIICO to this day hasn't done it. One of the shops that has installed a bunch of TIICO's is now sourcing/selling a A3 style accessory drive, but TIICO itself has't done a thing. Many TIICO parts are the same as US parts, but you have to work at it and you need to know the part numbers. Many TIICO owners have been very satisfied and have had minimal problems. Many TIICO owners have been extremely unhappy and plagued by vibration related breakages and catastrophic engine failure. I don't know what the ratio to happy/unhappy is. As far a Kennedy and Subaru conversions, everyone doing them raves about Kennedy's quality. The very few (<1%) of his adapters that have had problems were almost certainly "Installer error". Kennedy has never claimed to be "turn-key" kit supplier. Mr. Kennedy did do the legwork early on to get his "kit" CARB certified- several years, in fact, before TIICO did. The shops on the West Coast have been very busy converting vans and haven't needed to offer a "turn-key" Subaru kit. The number of owners converting to Subaru power is increasing and should soon overtake the number of TIICO's sold. We are now offering a "turn-key" Subaru kit to fill in what we percieve to be a demand for it.

John Vanaru.com