Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:11:06 -0800
From:         Craig Morton <rangermorton1972@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trailers, Portable Generators and the like
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

John:

I have a close friend who is a true trailer expert. He designs and markets engineer approved plans and kits for them and you can find his plans and kits at www.trailerplans.com. I do not know but suspect that finding an axle with the Vanagon bolt pattern might be tricky. But contact Bill Long and he will be able to assist you if anyone can. His toll free number is on the web site.

Craig

John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> wrote: With this "new-to-me" 88 GL I got from "Unca' Joel" I'm planning the development of a dedicated custom travel unit. It will consist of the van - plus whatever mods I put on it ( I have ideas for a lot of those) plus a small utility trailer. On - or in - the trailer ( I haven't decided on open or closed type yet) I propose to haul a generator, a propane tank, a bigger tool box, VW spare parts box, some outside camping gear, an air conditioner( which I will sit in the van front passenger window and run from the generator). I may also carry a potters wheel and a portable, knock-down gas fired kiln, as well. The van itself will be a place for sleep, eating, etc. and maybe some light storage of clothing, etc.

For the trailer I propose to have the wheel size match that of the van. Should tow easier, and if necessary, be a source of extra spare tires if I need to rob one for whatever reason. Besides that, I think in the tire arena one size fits all adds a measure of safety as well as convenience and utility.

As for the generator, there are any number of brands, and sizes, but I want something that is dependable, quiet, and of modest capacity. I don't plan to light up a city with it, but I would like to be able to run the window AC unit, and also the potters wheel, though not necessarily at the same time. Maybe it should have at least a two appliance capacity. The AC unit expected to run is 110/120 volts. Don't know wattage and amps but the AC is small.

I would appreciate any input from the list membership about generators, brands, and their use on the road in relation to life in a vanagon while on tour.

Also, any input about trailers, hitches, towing, etc, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver x2

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Mail Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.