Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:05:37 -0800
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Subaru Conversions

Cost is a big factor, cheep is a bad factor. when my 1.9l hits the roof do i convert to something that will be a better chioce for my van, yes.. i think people need to factor in the best conversion with cost effecting the main choice. support after conversion?

I like turnkey, and not plug and pray. but something that ( converts into what was in place before, :) sure hope everyone does'nt jump on the bandwagon for make cash of us volks.. whoops the word. hehe

naw really why do we drive these old beasts?? cost effective right? some cases yes. but as time passes these get blown out into this money making or-deal

peace, Joe wants to keep his beast on the road for years to come and still have money for food..

-----Original Message----- >From: "Bostig Eng." <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM> >Sent: Mar 9, 2006 11:47 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Subaru Conversions > >Interesting thread going.. and this is much of the same stuff Brady went >through 2 years ago looking for a conversion before we decided nothing out >there was worth it in our minds. If we dumped the high grade stainless >cradle, exhaust, brackets, 316 hose clamps, bolts, nuts, washers, flanges, >etc etc and used mild steel like everyone else we could shave at least a >thousand or more off the price of the conversion... but then where are we? >Well, it's cheaper for starters, but then you're going to have to either >come back in 2-5 years, or pay someone else loads of money to fab/fix the >conversion down the road. I would LOVE to see an ongoing long term cost >comparison amongst the various conversions. For whatever reason most people >refuse to acknowledge that they are going to be affected by the long term >cost of ownership, or they just want to ignore it since many feel it is an >"unknowable" blackbox item. We designed ours to last, and didn't spare any >expense if it meant sacrificing the result long term, not to mention >over-building everything. If we did just enough to get by, we'd sell a lot >more conversions and perhaps be able to pay ourselves something, but that >isn't the point. We're not the right conversion for everyone, nor are we >trying to be. We are trying to be the very best conversion, and I'll leave >that to the conversion crowd to decide. > >An interesting tidbit or nugget for you guys though... if you were to buy >all of the pieces you'd need to pull off a single zetec conversion kit in >the smallest minimum quantities of all the various parts we use, you'd have >to spend $12,689.31 exactly. > >Jim Akiba > > > > >At 12:08 PM 3/9/2006, TC wrote: >> > How many hours of labor did it take you? Now take those hours and >> > multiply by $60-80 per hour. Say it took you one week of only 40 >> > hours. That's an additional $2400-3200 that you did but didn't charge >> > yourself. >>The seems to make a realy good argument for the zetec conversions >>the 7 step process http://bostig.com/ >>1-pull the boxer for a pro 4-5hrs or less >>2-zetec 7 steps for the pro 7 hrs >>turn around should be 1.5 days 12 & 80 - ~$1000 >>Now if they could get their parts prices in line :)