Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:31:20 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear shock replace
Comments: To: aarondpearson@HOTMAIL.COM

If you can fit and the tools fit you don't need to raise the bus. If the shock are gas charged they will have to be compressed to install if the bus is not jacked up. ( I think they probably have to be compressed to install even if the bus is on jacks.)

To accomplish this I used my body weight on the top of the shock with the bottom of the shock on the ground and compressed it down toward the ground to "shrink" its length. I then wrapped the shock in that position with a thick wire coat hanger to hold it at the correct length and installed it by slipping the appropriate bolts through. Obviously with this method you should use caution that the hanger/sling does not slip or pop. Not that the shock will move with great speed to it's "shipping" length--it will move somewhat slow. But the wire hanger popping off could put out an eye.

Wear protective eye gear and use caution at your own risk.

This was all a pretty simple process. A little finesses was necessary to get the shock to the "correct length" for the bolting in. Once in place the wire can be removed and you're good to go.

To my understanding the shock will have little to do with the height of the bus.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA