Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:48:05 -0500
From:         "Cronin, Paul" <PCronin@ANTIGENICS.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon camper wanted!

Hey all,

I'd be surprised if many of you (or any for that matter!) remember me. I was a member of this group for a couple of years back in the late 90's when I owned my beloved 82 Diesel Westy. You may recall some of my posts however, most of which were entitled something to the effect of "Diesel Cooling Woes"! ;^) I drove the van from Boston to CA and up and down the CA coast. On the way home, the alternator got fried in Tulsa and I made it all the way back home without replacing the battery or alternator! That thing would run forever. I sold it to a guy from Worcester when I returned, and a few years ago I saw it at a CT show (after recognizing a Magic Hat sticker on it) with its new owners. I believe they called it their "Bed and Breakfast".

Anyway, time has passed and a few weeks ago I was married on Cape Cod, and as my wedding gift, my wife told me she wanted to get me a new (to me) van! How cool is that? She's never ridden in one and I don't recall ever telling her I wanted another one, but she told me that I had been talking about them pretty much non-stop since we started dating about 4 years ago and knew I'd love one. Is she the greatest or what?!

So here I am in Boston, looking for any type of camper - air-cooled, water-cooled, diesel (if I really luck out!), westy, weekender, hi-top, etc... I'd even consider a straight vanagon if I find one I fall in love with. I'm looking for what I hope will be a *somewhat* reliable daily-driver. I realize that these vans are 25 years old or more, and that they'll invariably have problems, but I'm looking for something without anything major on the horizon.

I've been looking at eBay and find lots of really nice examples in my general price range ( < $4k), but they're all on the west coast (surprise!). Is anyone selling or know of one for sale in the New England area? I'd travel down to NY or even DC if necessary.

Anyway, its good to see so many familiar names on the list and hope everyone is doing well.

Regards,

Paul