Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:44:04 -0500
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: will yours fit in the garage?

Excavate the floor.. call them storm drains for hurricanes to prevent flooding..

you only have to do 2 12" wide tracks for the tires to roll in.. and only a few inches..

your local 'tool rental' shop will give youa good deal on the masonry cutter and jack hammer..

just a thought.. wild and spontaneous.

Subject: Re:

In my old house I kept my Syncro GL in the garage always. One of the big disappointments of the house I bought last summer in Florida is that the Syncro won't fit in the garage. Specifically, it won't clear the raised door. The garage opening is 82", and my van is about 79". But here in Florida the building code dictates a series of metal supports running the width of the inside of the door, and with the first support at 78" the van won't clear, and barely might clearly the second (the supports are to prevent hurricane force winds from collapsing the door). I had the garage door guys in to look at it and they can't raise the door high enough, even with the new expensive belt driven door opener they sold me. Part of the problem is a support beam overhead the garage holding up the second story. The door track can't be raised unless we notch the beam, and I suppose I'd have to hire an engineer to determine if the beam could be notched. Also, the door is an 18' foot, old! wooden door and it sags about two inches in the center even with the hurricane bars. A new metal door might not sag as much but it still would be close. And my wallet would really sag after being emptied for the new door. In the meantime my ride has to sit outside in the rain until I figure out someway to raise the door. Anthony '89 SyncroGL (Hidalgo)