Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:30:36 -0800
From:         Doug F <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on Mr. Heater Buddy?
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Not sure which one you purchased this is the smaller one http://tinyurl.com/bcw6g

It produces 4000 and 9000 btu on low and high respectively. uses ceramic element and has warning to not use above 5000ft elevation.

In an air tight enclosure like a car with rubber door gaskets that can seal you up like a mason jar you must consider safety first. Too many folks get killed each year due to carbon monoxide or oxygen depletion even when they knew it could happen. Its very easy to nod off at the end of a long day and forget to open a window or once tired,fed,warm, and a bit of odorless carbon mox to help you fall asleep and that's it. You absolutely must be careful.

An low oxygen sensor may not shut off before you reach the point of affixation if the heater is down on the floor and you are at a higher position.

The really safe heaters vent all the fumes and get their combustion air from outside.

These are heaters like the Espar which are used in the trucker's sleepers now a days since many truck stops no longer allow them to idle while parked (camped) the Espar is the best heater for the vanagon because its the smallest, vents to the outside, and runs on diesel or gas which does not deplete your propane. Also could be considered safer if there is a leak than explosive propane. Drawback is you get what you pay for and they are over a grand.

Propex is next, still vented to outside which is very safe.

Vented cat is next, still uses oxygen from inside the van but all fumes are exhausted.

Cat heaters are supposed to operate at a temp that is not as likely to ignite items. combustion takes place at a lower temp and its supposed to not produce carbon monox.

I say if you dont have the budget to buy a really good vented to outside heater and you want safety and must have heat to use the smallest cat heater you can get which I believe Coleman makes.

Less output burns oxygen at a slower rate. Can certainly still kill you but its gonna take much longer!

Check out this new ultra tiny 800 btu coleman heater at sport mart $24.95 nice thing about it is it will almost take up no space you can set it on the stove or stove lid enough heat to help when cold but not so much that its a fire hazard.

http://tinyurl.com/mz772

Next up is the Coleman Sport Cat at 1500 btu still very small and only $39.95 http://tinyurl.com/ojmsr

I have the 1500 btu model and have tried it on the stove top area and it works great, seems very safe in terms of amount of heat and fumes etc. Still need to crack a window with one.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: Geza Polony To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 2:26 PM Subject: Thoughts on Mr. Heater Buddy?

Just got my new Mr Heater "Buddy" off Ebay, fired it up, wife says--No Way. I was thinking we could use it to heat up the van while stopped and while awake, like on cold evenings and cold mornings.

Anybody use these in the Vanagons?

It's written all over that they're intended for indoor use, including in tents, which is why I bought it in the first place. You barely touch it and the thing shuts off, and it has a low-oxygen sensor that shuts the flame off as well.

Her point is that in close quarters (us, pit bull, 10 year old kid, usual camping mess in the V) a piece of cloth or something could fall in, start a fire, and toast us all for good.

A penny for your thoughts. (And a lot more if you agree with MOI.) (Grrrr.)

C'mon, guys!

Geza