Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:03:42 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 12V fridge necessary?
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>

There are number of ways that batteries are rated. For the most part, the amp/hour rating is for 100% discharge. You never want to go below 80% as some battery damage occurs. Using a constant-voltage regulated charging system such as a vehicle alternator, you will rarely get the battery over 85% state of charge. If you do, the top 10% disappears within a few hours after charging stops. So basically, for extended operation, only plan on 50-60% of the amp hour rating to be truly available. Also, as the battery discharges, the voltage will drop. Will that fridge even work at 10.5 volts?

For the duty cycle of the fridge, there are many variables. The major problem with the van is the lack of ventilation when it is closed. When the inside of your van is near 130F, that duty cycle may be near 100%. If you use lights or the radio, you need to consider that also. VW went to the trouble of that propane fridge for a reason. There just isn't a more practical solution for refrigeration then and flame powered absorption fridge.

Dennis

Actually, I'm about to go the other way. I may remove my Dometic fridge and put in an AC/DC fridge that runs the Danfoss compressor. These are advertised to draw 2.5 amps when running, but they run for only about 15 to 20 minutes per hour and are advertised to have an average draw of .5 amps per hour.

I don't understand much about electicity, but does that mean a 50 amp deap-cycle battery will run a fridge that draws, on average .5 amps, for (50 amps/.5 amps) 100 hours????? or is there some unknown (to me) factor that makes this not true?

I posted my Alternative Fridge research here: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0602D&L=vanagon&P=R10601

Malcolm