Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:48:03 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Re: Vanagon Engine Temps & Oil Levels
Comments: To: dontemail2002 <email99@bellsouth.net>, vanagon@yahoogroups.com

If I needed to calibrate my VDO gauge, I would set up the Coleman propane stove, boil a pot of water, suspend the sending unit in the boiling water, make sure I had an external ground wire attached, turn on the ignition switch, and see what the reading was. Then do the math for number of feet above sea level. I recently bought an NOS VDO dipstick sender off ebay for a couple bucks. It was dead on at 100 degrees C. the last time I checked it. Maybe that VDO sender I put in the oil drain plug hole has been lying to me! Certainly hope it was on the optimistic side.

DM&FS

At 06:23 PM 3/14/2006, dontemail2002 wrote:

>It's been my experience with automotive oil and water temperature >gauges that they have not been very accurate. In order to know what >your oil temperature is you must calibrate your gauge or use a >calibrated thermometer. > >You can calibrate your oil pressure gauge with boiling water but this >is somewhat difficult to do. > >You can accurately measure your oil temperature by strapping an >electronic thermometer probe (calibrated of course) to your oil filter >with a plastic wire tie and covering it with a piece of insulating >foam. By comparing this reading to your gauge reading you can >calibrate your gauge. > >I found my VDO gauge was quite optimistic with it's reading. However, >it was always quite precise, giving the same reading (incorrect, >however) at the same temperature. > >I agree 100% with Karl about the desired oil level. I've done the >same experiments and have gotten the same results. When I had a 2.1L >WBX I ran the oil level at the lower end of the suggested operating >range plus 0.25 quarts. I found an the oil temperature never got >above 210ºF under any conditions and usually remained at 195ºF (IIRC). > >Ed >Raleigh, NC > > > >--- In vanagon@yahoogroups.com, dylan friedman <insyncro@...> wrote: > > > > I am only going on my experience with starving an engine of oil and >the damage it will cause. Most people do not watch the car they drive >as closely as you and I. if they run it low for what ever reason and >do not monitor it, kiss it good bye. > > > > df > > > > Karl Mullendorf <syncrosixteentdi@...> wrote: To quote Dennis >Haynes' ACTUAL REAL-WORLD TESTING [read: not some > > theory spouted by your A.C.E.'s: > > > > ************************************************************ > > > > "I have done the testing, both intentionally and by mistake. > > > > The FUN BUS has a 16 plate thermostatically controlled oil cooler in > > place of the OEM oil to water heat exchange. The oil pressure gauge is > > connected to the port at the center cam bearing, (between the push rod > > tubes). The oil temperature sensor is installed in the lower oil > > pressure relief valve plug. > > > > At normal speeds and oil fill the case or oil temp will follow the >water > > temp. On hot summer days with the AC on and traveling ~ 70 mph, I will > > see ~210-220F. If I change the oil and add a full 5 quarts, I will see > > maybe 230F and the pressure will start dropping. If filled with 5.25 > > quarts, It will go to 240-250. If I run to 75 or run the engine at >4,400 > > to 4,500 rpm for extended period, the oil temp will actually run >away to > > 270 or more and when slowing, the oil pressure will plummet until >things > > cool off. this is a good test for the oil pressure warning buzzer. > > > > Overfilling is probably the most common cause of the oil pressure >buzzer > > sounding intermittently. Especially during extended highway drives. > > Folks that think they solved the problem by changing the oil filter >are > > misled. It was not the filter change that fixed it, it was the >lower oil > > level after the filter change or different driving conditions. The WB > > has got to be one of the most oil level sensitive engines out >there. To > > make things worse, the sum playout is such that engine angle makes it > > difficult to get a consistent oil level reading. The engines mounting > > makes it worse as the engine leans forward away from the dip stick. > > > > When I change the oil, i ad 4.5 quarts and give the remaining .5 quart > > to the customer and instruct them not to add until the level is at or > > below the lower line." > > > > >************************************************************************ > > Since both of you refuse to consider hard data presented, then >who's the > > [choose your descriptive word] here? Too bad you can't accept >input, > > too hard-headed and know-it-all, wonder how any improvements happen in > > the world with the Idea Police on guard! > > > > Karl > > > > > > dylan friedman wrote: > > > Terry, > > > I have discussed this same topic with just as credible engine >builders > > > and racers. > > > I receiving the same answers and found the laughing to be louder >than > > > waterboxer tapped out on the highway. I thought this was common > > > knowledge, but had to check as well. if someone wants to run >there wbx > > > low on oil and feel good about it, I think many know they have >pulled > > > the pin on that gernade. Fire in the hole! > > > > > > To leave this list send an 'empty' message to ><mailto:vanagon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> > > > > > > > > SPONSORED LINKS > > Volkswagen car >cover Volkswagen radiator > Volkswagen parts > Volkswagen dealer sc > Vanagon > Vw vanagon > > > > > --------------------------------- > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > > > > > Visit your group "vanagon" on the web. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > vanagon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of >Service. > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > Yahoo! Mail > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments. > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > >To leave this list send an 'empty' message to ><mailto:vanagon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> >Yahoo! Groups Links > ><*> To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vanagon/ > ><*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > vanagon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > ><*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > >-- >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 268.2.1/279 - Release Date: 3/10/2006

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 268.2.1/279 - Release Date: 3/10/2006