Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:15:24 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Sources needed - Vanagon Cover

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:08:19 -0800 From: Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Re: Sources needed - Vanagon Cover

Hi all,

Yesterday I bought one of those Costco portable garages. Got the OK from the landlord to set it up in her driveway and as soon as I was half way done erecting the thing she comes out and says it's too big and refuses to let me keep the thing. Needless to say, I was a bit peeved and once again questioning the sanity of menopausal women. But that's another story. My next idea is to offer to put some really nice planters along the side and see if she softens up enough to allow it to stay. Otherwise I will have to return it to Costco (a phone call confirmed it would be OK even though original packaging was removed) or offer it to local Vanagon folks. Too big & heavy to ship!

I found that the quality of parts is pretty darn good for the price and it was well thought out. Instructions took me a while to find, but it was easy to follow. Parts are well labeled and organized. The frame fit together well, but I did not get a chance to evaluate the cover fit.

Keith et al,

Firstly, never make the mistake of assuming any sanity with menopausal women....I know cos I live with one...;-)

Now, regarding the portable garages...they are certainly preferable to vehicle covers for the obvious reasons of vehicle access and not lightly sandpapering the vehicle's finish however they are not a reliable long or even medium term solution really.

I have a 3.0m x 6.0m one that I use for my old Land Rover that I keep on a property we have and while we have comfortable accommodation there, I have not yet built the "really effing big shed" that I plan to that I will keep all the toys in. In the meantime, I bought one of those portable garages (made in China like everything else) for the Landy since it has a canvas roof that leaks if the sky even looks like raining.

They are cheap and look reasonably good and go together quite well however....

The instructions say they should not be left up in high winds (so what...are you supposed to pull them down every time it looks like getting windy?...yea like that's gonna happen) But they are correct. The garage will become a spinnaker in high winds and mine only stays in place because I physically lash it to the Land Rover (which sure won't blow away...the lump of a thing that it is...)

After a few months in the sunlight exposed to UV rays, the cheap fabric begins to break down and tear and a good breeze is enough to start the thing ripping. The cheap eyelets let go and the zipper on the front door is f%$#ed in no time flat. The elastic tie down thingies to connect cover to frame last like a few weeks before they start breaking and it wasn't long before I replaced nearly all of them with cable ties. The fact that the cows like standing around it didn't help either...;-)

I bought mine in March 05 and by Xmas, I had repaired nearly every eyelet and had cable ties everywhere as well as gaffa tape over so many tears and rips it just wasn't funny.

The frame however is good and the thing is still standing but it now has a whole other big silver tarp over the top to keep it waterproof, the door is gone and over the big tarp is an old shade cloth that protects the tarp and adds weight to keep the thing in place. This is all fixed down by old timber floorboards attached to the sides of the frame that the tarp and shade cloth can be tightly attached to. The door is long gone but now the thing actually works, is waterproof and stays in place...but that's mainly cos I still lash it to the Landy when I am not there or the wind looks like getting up....which happens regularly as the property is on the south coast of New South Wales where gale force winds are common place when a robust change comes through after hot weather.

So...the portable garages can be a good thing...but they aren't "set and forget" and you will be doing regular maintenance just to keep the bloody thing from destroying itself at any opportunity the weather provides....

When I finally don't need it anymore, I plan to use the frame over a vege patch or fruit trees and replace what is left of the cover with bird wire. Then it will work really well and even the winds shouldn't bother it.

So be warned...They are as volatile under certain conditions as menopausal women...;-)

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)