Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:55:40 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: New VW Commercials
Comments: To: bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>

This is a reflection of some severe management problems at VW - the corporate level. Any time there are problems with product, the management has a problem. They are ultimately responsible for figuring out how to make it all work, and if they don't, time to retire them to the farm.

I have worked as Quality Control Manager in both the private sector and with Government. I saw many times that the problems on the line were tied directly to operating philosophy of the corporate, which policies in turn were set by the corporate folks. For the guy sitting at the desk behind the door with "President" painted on it, to simply say "Git'er done" - well, that is not even remotely what it takes. He had better have some ideas as to how and also provide some leadership for the process. I tell you it is easier to pull a wet spaghetti noodle than it is to push it.

What is passed down from operations is extremely important. I worked a big government construction project at the Coast Guard Station in Kodiak, AK and was the Quality Control Manager there. I had been given the authority to shut down the whole project if I felt it necessary in order to resolve issues. The building frame was 5 storys of glue-laminated beams connected by steel couplings bolted on the ends of the beams, and the couplings were installed on the job site. During an inspection I saw a really odd thing. There was a big bolt that passed through a steel plate, through 12 inches of wood beam, though another steel plate and then had a washer and nut on the threaded end . Now when a steel bolt goes through a beam one would expect the line of the bolt length to be in the same plane. Well, this one was not. The end with the bolt head and the end with the nut and washer were in parallel planes. I knew immediately what had happened. I went to the project engineer/manager, told him what I found, what I suspected, and equally important, what I suspected was behind this strange thing. I felt that the superintendent was putting so much pressure on everyone to the point that they were afraid of making a mistake, that it would cost them their job, and the project was the best thing going that year on the island. Everyone wanted to work there. So it would be easy to replace someone. Anyway, the engineer got the super, a carpenter , me and himself, and we went and looked. Has a carpenter put a crowbar to the head of the bolt. Half the bolt came out. A tug on the other half pulled ti clear as well. There was the story. When drilling the holes, the crew drilling had missed the hole in the opposite plate. so he went to the other side and drilled again, only to miss again. so, a little creative lieger-domain led to cutting the bolt in half and stuffing the ends into the holes so it looked in place. The Project Manager called in all the supervisors, and instructed them to the effect that no one was to for mistakes. It was made clear mistakes were to be reported, but no layoffs. That was a good thing for things ran a lot smoother after that. VW has a ways to go.

For all their studies, VW missing the mark, at least with American people. I would not buy any recent German made vehicle. To many problems. They need to take a look at the grass roots and start from there, and they ain't doing it. They are going for pie in the sky hoping to make the big bucks. They could, if they would get back to the basics, and with modern technology produce a vehicle that is solid, reliable, low maintenance and gets good mileage. So far it's been out of their reach. I look for the recent announcement of the production combination of Chrysler and VW to turn into a disaster on wheels. Time will tell, but so far I am not impressed with anything German in recent times.

My $0.02!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver x2