Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:20:21 -0500
From:         jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@ND.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Frozen slave cylinder
Comments: To: Jim Stout <jstout@PERRYJUDDS.COM>

Jim,

I do not have any experience replacing either the slave or main cylinder, but I have removed the slave cylinder from its bracket many times in my 82 ac Westy. The only advice I can give is to start soaking everything with penetrating fluid ASAP. The rear bolt on the mounting bracket can be a major PITA to remove and penetrating fluid can be a big help. About a year ago there was a thread on the list about the best way to remove this bolt (search the archives under my e-mail address). I have always managed to get it off from underneath with a standard wrench, but others have used all kinds of funky jointed and bent tools to get at it. I believe somebody suggested removing the big piece of cooling tin that goes over the front of the motor and accessing the bolt from the engine compartment.

Where are you in WI? My family is from the Fox valley.

Good luck, Jake