Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:34:06 -0500
From:         robert shawn feller <rsfeller@CARBONCOW.COM>
Subject:      propane tank R&R, comments needed...

So I pulled the interior out of my 86 Westy and am officially staring the restoration now that we have spring like weather in Ohio. Along with the interior coming out I've dropped the propane tank. It seems very solid but has external rust. Anyone sandblast these and paint, or do you recommend just a wire wheel/brush and POR-15 (or equivalent) and before all you worry warts jump in the tank IS empty!

Link of 3 photos: http://carboncow.net/php/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=propane_tank_s tuff

Even knowing it's rather rusty all valves turned and parts came off easy. I need someone to tell me what the three items are, what the additional "stuff" are on each valve and any other comments in the following photos:

1. Gas Manifold: I'm rather curious to what the square part in the middle does? There is some type of vent below the larger cylinder that has a plastic cap. Obviously this manifold splits the lines between fridge and stove, but I'm unsure what the gizmo in the middle does. 2. Gas Exit: This handle is beat up a bit but seams to turn easily now. What is the protrusion to the right? 3. Fill Assembly: The rusted label below claims this is an upgraded safety fill valve. I'm curious to how this operates and what the "button" under the left dust cap does. Is this in fact a safe and standardized fill valve or do I need another?

Regrettably after removing all the interior items I found sever predictable behind the fridge rust from the leak at the hook ups and fiberglass insulation. The entire cross member on that side was rusted through and needed removed. Additionally it has caused rust down below that is getting under the lower seam and there is some swelling at the seam where the floor meets the port wall. I'm curious if anyone has a good write up about repairing this vs. cleaning and por-15. I'll need a new piece of sheet metal under the hookups but the lower seams may not be that bad.

Shawn Ohio http://vanagon.carboncow.net <http://vanagon.carboncow.net/>