Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:53:26 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Poptop water-proofing
Comments: cc: thosewilsons@GMAIL.COM, Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA

Josh wrote: >> During the night, my wife and I noticed that the entire interior of the poptop, which was closed, was damp to the touch. The felt became even more wet today. It seems like it's simply soaking through the top...? Is this a common problem?

Josh, I'll agree with Greg Potts' prior comments, and add that changing weather conditions/humidity/dewpoints can really exacerbate the notoriously stuffy Westfalia interior conditions.

As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that the condensation which Greg mentions is the PURPOSE of the flocked surface on the underside of the Westy roof.

That fuzzy flocking captures and retains more of the naturally-occurring moisture than would a hard, smooth fiberglass surface, which would probably otherwise allow the moisture to condense and drip on your head and upholstery while you slept. Secondly, when you get up in the morning and start opening windows, etc., the fibers of the flocking help to quickly 'wick' the moisture off the roof and back into the atmosphere, instead of encouraging mold and mildew. All in all, a pretty clever design.

Still, it's always wise to park the van with the roof raised and a window open in dry days to allow it to air out after rainy days, or even after every camping trip.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna make like a duck and get the flock outta here ...

P.S.: Josh, how are you enjoying Mejico? The Baja region in particular is on my wish-list of Westy destinations.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" http://www.vanthology.com/