Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:21:35 -0800
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>

Thanks to you Jeff I decided to put the Foilastic in my doors. Since I had the front door panels off anyway due to leaks in the vapor barrier I thought now would be the time. I found a good price on 6" X 50' rolls for $30 at a local lumber yard and started covering the sheet metal inside the doors. That stuff really sticks! I covered just about every surface possible and then used foil bubble insulation to provide a vapor barrier. It was cut to fit a bit smaller than the door panel so that the snap fasteners would still seat properly. Foil waterproof tape was used to seal around the edges and around wires. Extra bubble insulation was used to divert water away from the inside door panel by extending the bottom edge of the insulation into the door frame a bit. That way the water runs down the backside of the stuff and then drips to the bottom of the door where the weep holes are.

I gotta tell you that this did make a big difference in road noise! I can hear the stereo better and conversation is much easier. And I have only done the 4 doors and under the passenger seat/wheel well (I sawed off the front sheet metal cover to get at the area under the seat and to create more storage space). Next will be the driver seat area, front end near grill and rad fan housing, floor, cockpit ceiling and side panels whenever I get into those areas. Using the bubble insulation should make the van much warmer in the winter and reflect out heat in the summer.

I am very happy with the results so far. Well worth the time and $$ (about $100 so far). Oh, and the rain no longer runs down the front door panels onto the carpet!

Would have been interesting to do a decible meter reading before and after.

Keith O. 84 Westy "Brownie" 90 Westy Syncro