Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:05:37 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Trailers, Portable Generators and the like
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Hi John,

I built a custom trailer for hauling behind my VW camper back in 2002, and have been modifying and refining it ever since.

See it here: http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/Westrailer (Or live in person at Everybus, BusFusion and Buses Of The Corn)

Here's what I have learned in the process:

1. An enclosed trailer offers much better weather protection and security for the contents. This means less worrying if your gear will be there when you get back to the campsite or parking lot where you left it.

2. I designed the doors and latches on the westrailer to make it as easy to load as possible, and each component has its designated place. Design the trailer around the load and you will find it much easier to work with than if you design the load to fit the trailer.

3. Storing camping gear (and seldom-used items) in the trailer makes the vanagon MUCH easier to live in. When I built the westrailer I gained back about an hour per day that I used to spend re-arranging cargo transitioning the bus from driving mode to camping mode and back again. With a limited amount of holiday time I have available I want to make the most of every bit of it.

4. Running Vanagon wheels and tires will require a larger trailer. The Westrailer was built on a modified 40"x48" utility trailer frame, and with its 12" wheels I get the maximum use of space inside the box. I initially considered running the same wheel and tire as used on the bus, but scrapped the idea when I realized the amount of space that the wheel well and axle would take up. Carrying a second spare was a much simpler solution. The small tires do not create any problems for towing on any of the roads I've been on, and I have been using the trailer extensively through 4 full camping seasons. Unless you are going SERIOUSLY off-road I wouldn't worry about it. I would recommend carrying a spare set of bearings as well.... I learned that lesson the hard way going to EveryBus last year. Also, I have been told that State Law in Virginia prohibits the use of car tires on a trailer and vice versa. The tires must be "trailer tires" or they're illegal. Dunno whether other states might have similar laws or not.

5. Try and keep the height of the trailer below the rear window of the bus. It's a lot easier to maneuver when you can see over the trailer.

6. You want the tongue of the trailer to be long enough to allow the rear hatch to open easily, but not so long that the trailer extends past the dead air zone behind the van. I have considered modifying the westrailer with a telescopic tongue to tuck in closer to the bus for use on the interstate, but haven't found the right components yet.

Air Conditioning and Generators: The inclusion of AC and 110V generators in your plans are an indication that you are teetering on the edge of full-size RV ownership. I would not want to "camp" anywhere near someone running an air conditioner hanging in their window, or near a generator that is pushing that kind of load. Sure, the new generators are quiet on idle.... that's when they're not doing anything!!! But plug in the coffee perc and the generator will wake the whole darned campground. Ask me how I know this. If you are currently camping amongst the monster RV's then this doesn't apply to you, and you have my condolences.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com