Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:15:29 -0500
From:         Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Instrument cluster cleaning
Comments: To: Dave Vickery <davevickery@hotmail.com>

Dave:

I just got a suggestion from Joel to use a piece of cardboard wrapped in a paper towel - I think that may just do the trick. This thing is pretty brittle, so I could see it going into a million pieces of I tried to get the glass completely out.

Cleaner wax for the plastic, eh? I bought some plastic polish but that hasn't done much for me except leave a bunch of residue on the plastic. I will try the cleaner / wax. Thanks for the tip!

-Luke

On 3/24/06, Dave Vickery <davevickery@hotmail.com> wrote: > The plexiglass is glued in at the top and bottom. You would likely break it > uncleanly if you forced it out. How do I know? The glue is strong enough > that it takes some of the plastic with it when it comes out. The one I > forced out could have been glued back in and I don't think it would have > been noticable. But yours might come out worse or easier. > > You can clean in there some with a toothbrush type thing. I also had great > luck getting the black shine to come back with Macquire's Cleaner Wax. I > was very happy with that. > > Dave in Denver > > > >From: Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@GMAIL.COM> > >Reply-To: Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@GMAIL.COM> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Instrument cluster cleaning > >Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:40:49 -0500 > > > >Hey everyone: > > > >I have taken apart my instrument cluster to fix the odometer (which I > >have 50% confidence I may have done) and to clean it. It came out of > >a junkyard and filthy just doesn't describe it. Well, cleaning it has > >been a tiresome affair, and I just can't seem to get it completely > >clean on the plexiglass because I can find no way to remove the > >plexiglass. At the edges of the plexiglass there is all sorts of gunk > >that I just can't reach. I can't see in my bentley any way to get the > >plexiglass out, and I can't find a way to do it myself. Am I correct > >in that there is no way to do that? > > > >And then the next question would be ... how hard is it to get a > >replacement cluster? hahah! > > > >Thanks, > >Luke > > > >-- > >1985 Brown Vanagon GL 4spd "Compost" > > >

-- 1985 Brown Vanagon GL 4spd "Compost"