Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:25:08 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tail lights and brake lights

> Are the driving lights the single bulb to the inside, closest to > the license plate? > Brake lights the outer most lense below the turn indicators? > what is the one below the back up light for? > > Ok, now assuming that somehow I have the brake lights and the side > rear lights going on when I turn on the headlights and when I hit > the brakes the inner most light go on, they are reversed?

ok, on the tail light fixture, it looks like this (driver's side for example):

yellow is the turn signal, always out the outside top of the fixture. clear is the backup light. always on the center top of the fixture. red1 is the brake light. always on the inside (next to license plate) of the fixture. now comes the fun part ... ;) red2 is the driving/running/parking light. always on the outside bottom of the fixture. red3 is a sort of reflector built into the plastic. and red4 is just the bottom half of red1 ... both are open/connected inside.

more even funner part ... there IS a chrome-plastic reflector built into red1/red4 (brake light) and yellow (turn signal) to enhance their brightness. there is NO reflector in the clear (backup) which is why backup light at night is so crappy. :( there is NO reflector in the red2 (driving/running/parking) which is why it's so dim at night. and there is NO reflector in the red3 IN THE U.S.A. (and no bulb in the holder, not even a bottom-contact tab for the bulb). overseas, at least in the driver's side, red3 is a fog light and has a chromed reflector in it. but not over here. :(

hope it helps. good luck! unca joel