Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:59:31 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: yet another fridge question (ok you experts)...

I havent been able to find your origional post. Blockage in the ammonia circut is rare. I recently read a book on this ,and the author says that he has seen it maybe once in his time as a mechanic.Check to see that the 110V and 12V heat cartridges are seated properly in their steel tubes.Each cartrige has a screw on the bottom of its steel tube, that holds the element in proper position.You can see these screws just above the burner box. The largest percentage of heat transfer from the element is by conduction.However, the heat that is radiated is also necessary,in addition to the conducted heat,or the refrigeration wont happen. This means that the element must be pressed right up tight against the main ammonia holding tube ,just above the burner,with the set screw. This does not mean that the top of the heat element is also pressed tight against the ammonia tube. I wedged a piece of metal in the top,to help push the element up tight.It only takes a minute air gap to destroy metal to metal conduction. Air to metal is 1/25 as efficient in heat transfer, as metal to metal , or water to metal(the automatic transmision cooler inside your radiater is liquid to metal, so it dosent need to be large to cool ok).The oil cooler on late vanagons or vanagon automatic transmission coolers are exampels of this liquid to metal conduction principal.Small ,arnt they? Dont underestimate what they do.

If the refrigerator is working ok on propane,it should work ok on 110V,and vice versa.The galvanized insulation shield that is around the lower heater pipe,is ez to remove.Just sqeeze it and it will unsnap.Dont damage the fiberglass insulation,cause replacement insulation will smell bad.Real bad.The refrigeration effect will not work without this insulation,either.By removing ,or just loosening up on the shield, you can inspect the tops of the electrical heat elements.Total removal of the insulation should be done by removeing the stainless steel screws inside the burner box, and spreading the tubes apart.That insulation tears easy.

Poor refrigeration can also be caused by an improperly installed evaperator plate(ice cube tray holder).This plate also uses the conduction principal of heat removal for the majority of heat transfer(90%). Most of the heat enters a space of 1/2 inch by about 9 inches ,where the plate clips onto the black steel refrigerant pipe , at the rear of the frig.The end of this black pipe has a cap on its upper end that is a bit larger in diameter than the rest of the pipe.If the evaperation plate is clipped over this cap,it will cause an air gap between the plate and pipe for the entire length of the plate. Little conduction will occur.Air to air heat transfer will occur,and this is 1/25 as efficient as conduction. Old dry ,and crusty mastic, that is between the plate and pipe(for good contact),can cause a percentage of this 4.5 sq. inches of conduction area to be reduced.

The black pipe is about 9.5 inches long , and the plate is about 9 inches long where they make contact. To get the very best heat transfer, place the plate as near the end cap,to the left, as possiable ,without actually placing the plate over the cap. You have about 1/2 inch of space to play with. This makes a difference, as the coolest part,by far, of the black pipe,is to the left(by the ice cube trays). The idea is to mount the plate to the coolest 9 inches of black pipe , possiable.

A clean orifice is most importiant.Injecting rubbing alcohol through it wont work on a 20 year old orifice. The issue is oxidation. This hole is so small , that it can oxidize closed. I used a week solution of battery acid. I pushed on a rubber hose ,to one side of the orifice and added a bit of acid, with an eyedropper. I let it drip its way though. Nice and clean now. Got rid of the oxidation. I rinsed with alcohol,lots or it. I tested the results with a manometer. I did a before and after test. Then I got a brand new orifice and tested it for the amount of time it took to reach 11 inches of water column. The old oxidized orifice took about 3 more seconds to reach 11 inches , than the cleaned or new orifice. The cleaned orifice matched the new orifice.This old orifice was first cleaned with rubbing alcohol without any improvement at all. From this, I can say that maybe the cleaned orifice will reoxidize faster since the acid etched the hole and made a much larger, potential surface area(microscopic ?), for new oxidation? I know alcohol is a waste of time, so maybe a new orifice is the only long term solution to a restricted orifice.

Dont forget to check the ignitor where it bends 90 degrees and enters the burner box. the cable can crack and a spark will jump from this crack to the box,instead of from the electrode to the burner.Like a bad spark plug wire on an engine. You can hear the spark leak out of the wire and ground to the engine block.Snap---it sounds. At night ,you can see this occur.

Lastly, I cleaned the vent out with a test tube brush and something that will remove the rust.Maybe marine clean,or that other por-15 product.I did this to get the waste heat out as efficently as possiable. That rust causes drag of the exhaust. The first 5 inches of the lower vent is where the greatest proportion of heat transfetr takes place. After that ,the heat is a liability(hot interior of van).Maybe that por 15 paint for exhaust manifolds will keep the rust from returning.