Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:00:24 -0800
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ReRe: Fryeday Question & MythBusters!! Naphlene
Comments: To: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@hotmail.com>

I would imagine that the sugar in the fuel would form giant lumpy carbon deposits on the exhaust valves that would keep them from closing and therefore making compression. That's what happened to our 1949 Fargo flatbed with flathead six back when we were hippies. :-) The guys we lent it to filled it with diesel, maybe because it was so slow, and sure enough, we had to go and get it ourselves cause it wouldn't run anymore!

Peace and love, Jake

On 3/24/06, Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@hotmail.com> wrote: > > I watch MythBusters, and I do take issue with #3 - Sugar In The Gas Tank. > > The test that they did was very brief. This would hardly be a realistic > situation. Once the sugar is there it will dissolve in the gas. It may > take > a little bit of time and agitation (driving, which includes going over > bumps > and around turns), but sugar will be a disaster. > > Two different scenarios will make this happen. > > #1) Very Little Agitation > Most vehicles have their fuel pick-up at the very bottom of the tank. This > is exactly where the undisclosed, or slowly dissolving sugar will > accumulate. The fuel pump will suck up the partially dissolved sugar, and > some of the undisclosed sugar. The pump itself will cause agitation, which > will cause the sugar to dissolve. > > #2) Agitation > Normal driving will cause enough vibration to help the sugar dissolve on > its > own. It may take some time, but the sugar will dissolve eventually. > > So what happens when the sugar is dissolved in gasoline? Simple. There is > a > huge amount of carbon in raw sugar. When the gasoline with the dissolved > sugar makes it to the combustion chamber very bad things will happen. The > heat and pressure of combustion will cause the sugar to carbonize. > Further, > after the gasoline with the dissolved sugar is squired out of th fuel > injector, on its way to the engine much of the gas will end up on the hot > intake valve. The hot intake valve will cook the gasoline/sugar mixture. > The > result will be carbon on the intake tract side of the valve. > > So we will have massive carbon build up in the combustion chamber and > massive carbon build up on the intake valve. This most certainly will > affect > the engine and its performance. This type of build up will most likely > demand a complete engine tear down to rectify. > > MythBusters is a fun show, but in this case they simply weren't thorough. > Over time, sugar will damage an engine. They just did one brief test. > > My 2¢. > > Cheers, > Bruce > motorbruce > motorbruce@hotmail.com > > > >From: Matthew <mpteleski@YAHOO.COM> > >Reply-To: Matthew <mpteleski@YAHOO.COM> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: ReRe: Fryeday Question & MythBusters!! Naphlene > >Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:18:11 -0800 > > > >don';t you guys watch myth busters?? geeze. they did > >all of these old tales on a only caddy v8 engine. (no > >longevity tests though) > > > >1) coffe grounds do stop a coolant leak > >2) a raw egg in the radiator stops a coolant leak > >3) sugar in the gas tank doesn't do squat > >4) potato(e) in tail pipe does not stop the rig from > >starting (w/ Bush spelling (e)) > >5) mothballs (naphlene, not paradicholorbenzene) in > >gas tank made no noticable issues > >6) shooting a car will not cause it to blow up > >7) you can't get sucked up by a fire-fighting > >helecopter's water intake > >8) tomato juice washes out shunk smell > >(t-butylmercaptan) > >9) you cannot go around a swing with rockets > > > >and more... > > > >-matthew > >no cable, just an antenna, so i only get myth busters > >when at a hotel on trips. > > > >"Racing with the wind and flirting with death > >So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath" > > > >__________________________________________________ > >Do You Yahoo!? > >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > >http://mail.yahoo.com >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com