Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:10:54 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: running hot....ideas?  UP
               DATE running a 70º t-stat instead of t
              he  87º one
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Fix what is wrong, don't just put a bandaid over it to hide it from view. The lower thermostat does not increase the cooling capacity of the system. If something is wrong and the coolant isn't being cooled enough, the lower thermostat won't change that If real overheating was taking place, it will still take place as soon as you put a sustained load on the engine. Load=hp=heat The amount of heat does not depend on the thermostat. If your cooling system can't keep up with the heat, the engine will overheat. The lower thermostat will just let the needle ride lower until the overheating takes place.

Mark