Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:25:54 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: What Makes a Carat a Carat ??
Comments: To: samhp@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 3/25/06 6:16:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, samhp@YAHOO.COM writes:

> I have been reading with interest the discussion of the " Carat/GL " > offered for sale on Ebay. I got so interested that I took a look at the vehicles > being offered for sale on ebay with the description of Vanagon Carat. The one > with a wheelchair lift seems to have the official Carat designation on the > rear hatch. Interesting because my van is identical to that one but it has the > GL designation on the hatch. My van also had a wheelchair lift installed when > I bought it , which has since been removed, and the two jump seats > re-installed. It also has the identical three switches for controlling the wheel chair > lift next to the license plate in the rear panel. Mine is also automatic and > now has a whopping 28,000 miles on the odometer. When I bought it I assumed, > with no input from anyone else, that it was a Carat because of the > fiberglass bumper and side trim and the side table with the two jump seats. So what do > I have, and ...does it really matter ?? SAM > >

sam.. you didnt tell us what year you have. carats were made 89-91. does your van have the wolfsburg badges on the sides of the front clip? if so, then you got a 87-88 wolfsburg..basically the same thing as a carat..87-88 wolfsburg are badged as GL on the back.. only difference is the carats had power windows and locks, cruise and the sideskirts standard. then there was the 89 wolfsburg, which is everything the 89 carat is, but with the leather wrapped steering wheel, grey dashpad, doagonal striped seats, carpeted sofabed kickpanel, subwoofer in left wall panel and body colored bodykit. 89 wolfys also had the badges on the front clip..and so did the 91 wolfsburg carats.. which were basically just red carats with a wolfsburg badge stuck on the front as well as saying carat on the rear.

chris