Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:55:26 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: What Makes a Carat a Carat ??
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>

I highly dought that the interior was swithed on this particular van. My reason for saying this is that if you look at the center section, where the swing out table would be, there is a metal channel that is riveted to the van that holds the table section in place. it is just below the window and runs from behind the drivers seat to the AC duct in the rear. The holes from the rivets would be seen, providing a new headliner wasn't done as well. I really think it is a GL and the seller has no idea what he is talking about.

df

Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: panel. Mine is also automatic and now has a whopping 28,000 miles on the odometer. When I bought it I assumed, with no input from anyone else, that it was a Carat because of the fiberglass bumper and side trim and the side table with the two jump seats. So what do I have, and ...does it really matter ?? SAM

the carat is designated by the two jump seats (which can be installed into any bus) AND the thicker wall panel with the pop-up table AND the slightly narrower rear seat (side to side; the wall panel is thicker than in a GL). and a real Carat has the badge on the rear hatch.

trouble is, as old as these buses are, and as much as they move around, and as easy as it is to swap interior (and exterior) items between buses, there's not really any way to tell from just looking. especially if the seller wants to misrepresent a bus as something else.

a Carat and a GL have no differences in their VINs, so unless you see the interior AND the badge and so on and so forth, you just don't know. and no, not all Carats are automatic transmissions. a lot, but not all.

now, the poptop version of the Carat, called a Multivan, IS different in the VIN from the campers. a Multivan has WV2TB... where a Camper or Camper GL has WV2ZB... or WV2XB... (for 1986).

go figure. :)

unca joel

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.