Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:35:00 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L running hot....ideas
              ?  UPDATE running a 70º t-stat instead
              of 87º?
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

No, that is not normal. As I said here 2 months ago when you first started this thread, you have a wrong notion of what is normal based on what your other van did. The temp gauge needle should be near or right against the bottom edge of the led, or even higher, as you go down the road with the engine warmed up. Obviously, the outside air temp makes some difference but the whole purpose of the thermostat is to keep the engine temps fairly stable under all conditions and in the range for best engine operation and lowest wear. Yours are not, since you have a thermostat that keeps the coolant flowing too much a lot of the time. Your engine is running too cool as you cruise on the highway and then comes up to normal while you are stationary for a time with the engine running.

Look at the parts data for other Audi and VW vehicles of the era ours are from. You will find that 87 degree thermostats prevail, regardless of engine type, vehicle type, turbo or not, etc. There are a few times where an 80 degree thermostat is called for in certain climates or load conditions. There are lots of examples where larger capacity radiators are available, second helper radiators are available, different fans or fan cowlings are available, all as options but with the same 87 degree thermostat. That should tell you something, hopefully.

Mark