Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:32:54 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sugg. needed --  going on a wander (long & LVC)
Comments: To: DanielCRoberts@AOL.COM

Dan, This is a subject with endless answers, but here are a few, in no particular order: To get the most out of ever-increasing price of gas, keep your speeds down. This is hard to do on the interstates, so look for the back roads, state highways, etc. Often more scenic, always more relaxing. Have no idea what you like to eat or how much cooking you want to do, but consider packets of instant oatmeal, small cans or the new pouches of tuna, salmon and chicken. A few small plastic containers for leftovers, but try to minimize these, because there isn't much room. I don't care for the instant noodles packs, but there are lots of soups, chowders, etc., that only require boiling water. And you can always throw in a can of the above mentioned stuff. A bottle of salad dressing and buy bags of salad mix along the way for fresh greens. Paper towels. You can see I don't do much real "cooking" :).

You don't say how big the dog is. I travel with a 75 LB black Lab. Make sure his shots, especially rabies, are up to date and bring some proof. Make sure he has a tag or license of some sort in case he gets lost, which can happen in new and unfamiliar surroundings. Maybe even get an ID chip embedded. Look for a spill-proof (none are really) water dish, maybe one that will nest inside his food dish. Don't leave any uneaten food around to attract wild critters and at least wipe out his food dish to minimize odors. While you can always buy dog food along the way, you might not find his favorite. If he is a big dog, get some of the large (really large) heavy duty zip-lock bags, estimate how much he needs for a week (you can feed less because he probably won't be getting as much exercise) and put that in one bag. Put another weeks worth in another bag. I keep one bag under the rear seat and the other in the bottom of the clothes closet (the hard to reach bottomless pit place). Keep a measuring cup in one bag. The throw-away scoops in laundry detergent work well. A tent stake and a short line to tie him outside. Plastic bags to cleanup after him. Some of the state parks and beaches in California provide them free in dispensers. Insect repellent for both you and the dog, for flies, mosquitoes and TICKS. Comb and brush for the dog. You won't have many opportunities for bathing him. Even bring an old towel to dry him off if he is out in the rain. A wet dog in the cramped confines of the Westy can get pretty smelly. If it sounds as though I am putting a lot of emphasis on the dog, I am, because if the dog is happy and relaxed, so also will you be.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

Jerry