Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:22:41 -0800
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ebay mystery doka
Comments: To: Aaron Pearson <aarondpearson@hotmail.com>

I guess you guys don't read Hot Rod Magazine. Their December 2005 cover ( and much of the issue!) is on a brand-new 1969 Camaro convertible assembled by CARS in North Carolina and approved by GM. I can hardly wait to hear the noise over at Barrett-Jackson when the first one hits the auction block!

On 3/28/06, Aaron Pearson <aarondpearson@hotmail.com> wrote: > > have you seen these? this is a "restored" fj40, but the car is almost > completely new. i think it's just the frame and some of the body > components > that are original, and imported from japan. > > http://www.tlcicon.com/ > > aaron > '87 syncro westy ej22 > > >From: Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM> > >Reply-To: Oxroad@AOL.COM > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Re: ebay mystery doka > >Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:29:40 EST > > > >In a message dated 3/27/2006 5:08:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, > >jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM writes: > > > > >Damn! I want to meet the guy who did the van to doka conversion. > >That's > > >some of the nicest original looking bodywork I've ever seen. > > > > > >Since there's an interest in this kind of conversion, I'm willing > to take > >up > >task. You'll have to supply me with the Van and the syncro Doka in > >pristine > >shape for all needed donor parts. I haven't figured out a price yet, but > I > >already have a drill and a rivit gun. The entire job should take about 5 > >minutes--but I have to insist you don't watch while I'm doing the body > work > >and the > >installation of the syncro parts. ;) > > > >I will say though, it's odd that (if I recall) some US companies used to > be > >able to get away with importing new 2000 Mexican Beetles into the US and > >use a > > 70's US registered Beetle's floor pan and VIN for the base of the > Mexican > >Beetle in a conversion. Then install the Mexican Beetle body and all > >components > >on the US registered floor plan and have a "restored 70 Beetle" legally > >registered. I mean is that how it was done with the Mexican imports, or > is > >that a > >myth as well? > > > >I'm guessing the real problem is the buracracy, but what's the difference > >in > >an 88 Vanagon in a driveway or an 88 Crew Cab from Canada? If it's the > >engine > > and emissions--couldn't an American spec engine from 88 be installed in > >the > >Crew Cab and it be all good? I'm guessing the safety systems are > identical > >as > >far as seat belts and bumpers and whatever else a car had to meet for US > >import in 88. > > > >And I guess what I don't get is where does the old car end and the > restored > >or rebuilt car begin? If my, for example, 69 Camaro has all new fenders, > >drive train, interior, new rear, etc. Let's say I even lift a more solid > >body > >from a junker and fit it to my original Camaro frame, weld on a new front > >end--basically the only thing original is the VIN plate. Am I missing > >something? > > > >Best, > >Jeff > >83.5 Westy (I don't actually have a Camaro--it was just a "for example") > >LA,CA > > _________________________________________________________________ > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/ >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com