Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:42:58 +0100
From:         Niall Mac Caughey <nmacc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mythbusters

Good evening Gentlefolks,

I hesitate to bring up Mythbusters on a Tuesday, but thr thread might be even staler if I waited until Friday. I didn't see the potato-in-exhaust or eggs-in-rad episodes and I'm curious as to the findings.

Once upon a time I drove a 1968 Mini (850cc and a four-speed automatic box). It wasn't quite as slow as it sounds, at least not for the late 70s when I owned it. Anyway, to get to the point; I executed a 3-point turn in a narrow country lane one night and plugged the exhaust with mud & grass. I didn't notice and the motor kept running, however the exhaust had a pretty sizeable leak at a joint; I'm pretty sure it would have stalled straight away had that leak not been there. How did the test on MB go?

All that backpressure did have an effect however: she overheated badly. No temp gauge or warning light, so I found out the traditional way - steam. After she was cooled, tailpipe cleaned and refilled, I found that the cooling system had suffered and developed lots of small leaks.

I tried the raw egg method of sealing, putting six eggs into the rad. All I got for my trouble was scrambled white coolant and a horrible mess it was too. I finally fixed the problem with a mixture of new hoses and Bars leak sealer, which did work.

Does anyone recall the MB test?

Regards,

Niall