Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:26:49 -0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing stuck upper ball joints: any tips?
Comments: To: Andy Stalick <andystalick@GMAIL.COM>

You need to use pressure from the coil spring to help break the connection loose.

Lift the right side of the suspension with a jack. Make sure that the large nut is loosely threaded on the ball joint stem

Find a way to support the upper control arm so when you lower the jack, the weight of the lower suspension and the tension of the coil spring will all be on the upper ball joint connection. I have used a 24" piece of angle iron, a couple of jackstands and some c-clamps to create a platform for the upper control arm to rest on.

Once you lower the jack, smack the side of the spindle where the ball joint stem passes through and it should pop loose. Make sure the large ball-joint nut is in place to keep the whole thing from flying apart when the joint breaks.

Good luck,

Tim

Andy Stalick <andystalick@GMAIL.COM> wrote: I was able to remove and replace the driver's side upper ball joint using a pickle fork, no problem.

The passenger's side is proving to be a very tough customer! I've tried a liberal dose of WD40, serious hammering with a small and larger hammer and the pickle fork, and heating with a propane torch. It won't budge! The stamped metal piece that sits above it is starting to get a little chewed up with my attacks.

Anybody got any good tips on getting this thing unstuck? Is there some sort of a special tool I don't have that will pop this thing right out?

Thanks, AS