Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:01:25 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Swapping late sway bar links to '82?

On 29 Mar 2006 at 11:40, Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> The late 85 uses the early sway bar with the late cast iorn suspension. > Looks like only inner and outter bushings need changing along with the new > sway bar.The straight end links are used with the early bar in this 85. > > I dont see why you cant use the late bar in the early sheet metal lower > control arm suspension. Use the dog leg or straight end links.The thinner > bar will cause less stress on these links.I think the larger bar, caused > the cast iorn dog leg end link, to snap at the threaded part.This, when > wear occured in a worn suspension. I guess that is why VW changed to steel. > > My early 85 came without an end link on one side. Probably like that for > years.I saw several just like it in the junk yard.Why do you want the > thinner bar?

Actually, I was wondering if I could just swap the straight end links in place of the dogleg ones on my '82. Both of the doglegs snapped last summer on rough roads. I put rubber coil spacers in the springs, which *might* have rubbed against the end links, I can't be sure. I will try to weld the cast dogleg links, but don't expect it will last. If I can swap to the straight ones, it might work better. So you are saying the later sway bar is actually a different length and/or diameter? I'll have to inspect more closely I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '82 Diesel Westy 1.6NA '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA