Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:55:54 -0800
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine choices
Comments: To: Al Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>

Who/what is this Overland that list members keep referencing? Do they have a website? I googled it to no avail. Thanks, Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)

Al Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM> wrote: On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:41:19 -0500, Neal Barrentine wrote:

> I have a 1986 GL that I want to upgrade the engine on eventually. I >have read about several different options, including the VW turbo >diesel, 4 cylinder from an Audi Fox, Audi V8, Zetec, etc, etc. Even if >I had unlimited funds I still would ask for others' experience with >various swaps, but I have very little money, average mechanical >ability, above average enthusiasm for the beast, and I know a guy who >hauls wrecks for a living. What, in your opinion, should I have him >keep his eyes open for me in the way of donor-mobiles? Both for engines >and other goodies? Thanks, fellow Vanagon afflicted! >Neal Barrentine >Bloomington, Indiana >1986 GL >1960 Baja Bug

I've thought about this a lot, and I've pretty much decided that the best ECONOMICAL replacemnt for a waterboxer is a single cam Subaru 2.2 (EJ22) or 2.5 liter. These are beautifully designed motors, modern electronics, get better gas mileage and POWER than a waterboxer and cheap as dirt. It will help if you can do some of the fabrication engine mount and exhaust yourself. Also the wiring harness is a challenge, I guess. I like diesels, too, but getting a modern VW turbo diesel or TDI installed into a late Vanagon is just too expensive to realize any logical savings unless you have your own source of Waste Vegetable Oil. I also like the idea of an Audi 5 cylinder using OE South African parts, too, but that also is a fair amount of work (unless you buy the Overland kit complete with 2.6 engine for about $6k!) And, I doubt the fuel economy would be as good as the Subie, just because the Subie uses newer electronics. Just my 2 cents worth. Al Brase

--------------------------------- New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.