Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:24:45 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ronal R9 ET35
Comments: To: mario m <vw_fool@hotmail.com>

On 3/28/06, mario m <vw_fool@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have received many answers to the question of the ronal r9's fitting on one of my cars. It seems that all of the answers involve rims that are 7 1/2" wide with a ET35- mine are 7" wide with a ET35. The 1/2" difference is 12.7 mm. Does that mean that I do not have to run a 12mm. spacer and that they are a direct bolt on? I am still a little confused- please educate me. I know that I have seen pictures of these rims on VW's before. BenT's site even has a picture of a truck that looks exactly what mine would look like with the rims on it- except mine is banged up, rusty and muddy. > > Mario

Mario,

You are correct in that 1/2" is equal to 12.7mm. However, when applied to your wheel, it translates to 6.35mm on each side.

The stock Carat alloys at ET32 and 6" wide should translate to:

76.2mm from wheel centerline to the edge +32mm ET 108.2mm total from the centerline to the inner edge

Compare that to your wheel at ET35 on 7". I am assuming you are looking at wheel stampings and not your own measurements:

88.9mm from wheel centerline to the edge +35mm ET 123.9mm total from the centerline to the inner edge

That loosely translates to 15.7mm further inward than the VW alloy wheel which would normally be fitted there. Look at your existing wheel and see if you have space for another 15.7mm.

Or if you have steel wheels of 5.5" at ET30.... (69.85 + 30mm = 99.85mm) 123.9mm - 99.85mm = 24.05mm from you present steel rims edge to the point where your wheels will end up being. Math is not my strong suit so someone correct me if I screwed anything up.

I hope that helps. We've written about these question extensively in the archives if you want to dig up more info.

BenT