Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:54:26 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trouble coming my way? Starter delay
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

There are many possible deficiencies. The contacts in the ignition switch arc and deteriorate a little with every use. Connectors slowly corrode and their crimped attachment to the wires becomes weaker. The solenoid gets gummed up and doesn't move as easily. The electrical resistance of the solenoid is greater when it is hot, so the starter may refuse to operate only after an hour or more of high speed driving in hot weather. Since the ground path for the solenoid is thru the starter circuit, if the brushes and commutator are bad enough, the solenoid does not operate. All these factors can contribute to varying degrees. Different list members have had success correcting different parts of the problem and so feel that their solution is the right one. Personally, I have had this problem on one bus and three vanagons. In three cases the relay solved the problem for the duration of my ownership; in the fourth case, the starter eventually had to be rebuilt. I feel that the circuit should have used a relay in the first place as the ignition switch should not have to handle that much current, very similar to the situation with the headlight switch.

Larry A.