Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2006 04:55:06 -0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ronal R9 ET35
Comments: To: mario m <vw_fool@HOTMAIL.COM>

The measurement you need to be concerned with is backspacing. A stock 14" wheel on a two-wheel drive Vanagon needs 108 -mm (4-1/4") of backspacing to clear the front spindle. The amount of backspacing on stock Vanagon rims is the same, the amount of offset is decreased to compensate for the additional rim width.

Think of it this way, if you were going to make a stock Vanagon wheel wider, you would have to add any additional width to the outside of the wheel; if you added any width to the inside the wheel would hit. By adding width to the outside of the wheel only, you are effectively decreasing the amount of offset by 1/2 of the amount of additional width. Thats why a steel 5.5"wide wheel has an offset of 38-mm while a alloy 6"wide wheel has an offset of 30-mm.

You can determine the amount of backspace two ways.

You can measure it by laying the wheel on its face, putting a straight edge across the inside edge of the wheel and measuring the distance between the mounting surface of the wheel and the straight-edge.

You can also calculate backspace by dividing the wheel width by 2 and adding the amount of offset. Your wheels, if they are 15" x 7" ET35 will have a backspace of 120-mm (4.8"). Since they are 15" wheels, the increased diameter will provide about 12-mm (7/16") of additional clearance to the spindle; a 16" wheel offers 25-mm (1") of additional clearance. Your wheels should fit without spacers.

I have taken the time to measure all of these distances on the front of my Camper and more detailed explanations are in the archives.

Good luck,

Tim

mario m <vw_fool@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: I have received many answers to the question of the ronal r9's fitting on one of my cars. It seems that all of the answers involve rims that are 7 1/2" wide with a ET35- mine are 7" wide with a ET35. The 1/2" difference is 12.7 mm. Does that mean that I do not have to run a 12mm. spacer and that they are a direct bolt on? I am still a little confused- please educate me. I know that I have seen pictures of these rims on VW's before. BenT's site even has a picture of a truck that looks exactly what mine would look like with the rims on it- except mine is banged up, rusty and muddy.

Mario