Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:35:50 -0500
From:         Neal Barrentine <vwneal@BLUEMARBLE.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel pump noise
Comments: To: AAG - Larry Word <word_aag@comcast.net>

On Mar 31, 2006, at 10:57 AM, AAG - Larry Word wrote:

> In Vanagon.com board you stated..... > > Removing the tank and cleaning out the scale ..... > > Is this the gas tank....if so, how do you clean out the scale after > you've > removed the tank from the car? > > I did this once and found no good way to pressurize tank to rid > debris.....I > did flush w/ gas, air, etc. but > I'm interested in your take on this job..... > > Larry > Georgia

First, let me start with why I removed the tank to begin with. One of the plastic fittings on top of the tank that connects to the balance tube had broken, resulting in spilled gasoline when I filled it up or cornered, accelerated etc. I didn't want to pay what the dealer wanted for the parts, so I opted to JB weld the broken part. I also decided to make it easier to put it all together by cutting the plastic balance tube off of the fittings that plug into the tank, and replacing it with the appropriate size rubber hose, fuel proof, of course. Also, the gas gauge did not work, and upon removal I found that it was rusty enough that it had frozen in position. It cleaned up easily, and has worked great ever since. But when I drained the tank, I got a big surprise with the amount of rust scale! I filled a one gallon paint can with what I removed from the inside of the tank! The outside of the tank was rust-free, so I figured I could clean out the inside by repeated flushings with water. I had a length of heavy chain that I dropped into the tank and then agitated the tank to break up the scale. After becoming sufficiently tired, I rinsed the tank repeatedly with more water, then mineral spirits, laquer thinner, and then gasoline. (I hate working with gasoline!) Before re-assembling it, I cleaned and painted the outside. I still have rusty fuel in my fuel filter, and occasionally the fuel pump inlet will get clogged with scale, but it is much better than it was previously. When it gets clogged, I find I can't accelerate well, and I know it's time to replace the filter. Once after replacing the filter I found that the fuel pump was still noisy, but the van ran okay. When I had space in my garage, I pulled it in, disconnected the fuel line from the inlet side of the filter, and blew a little air into the fuel pump. It was, and continues to be quiet since then. If this was a Syncro or Westy I would look to replace the fuel tank or at least clean it with acid and recoat it. Have fun, Neal

Neal Barrentine Bloomington, Indiana 1986 GL 1960 Baja Bug