Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:28:41 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: MPG Question

I think you can get better mileage from your 84. Tire inflation is the biggest factor I have found.Check the pressures and adjust them to specs if needed. My 85 has 39 front and 44 rear. My car tires(on the vanagon) only go to 44psi , so that is where I put the pressure. Spec on the rear is 48.Many different specs for different vanagons. Also, the timing and O2 sensor need to be good.If you arnt getting a bit of engine surge, these are most likely ok.A good alignment is supposed to help too.Maybe mobil 1 in the engine and a synthetic in the trans will help.Waxing that thing may help too.A bottle of fuel injector cleaner ,or two is a great help too.

I heard that going 1 mph over 55 will be like adding 5 or 10 cents to a gallon of gas.Last summer and fall , when gas was $3.50 /gallon, I saw most folks going 75 on the interstate. Add $ 1.00 or$2.00 to the $3.50, and you get$4.50 or $5.50 effective/gallon. I heard that americans need to pay $5.00/gallon to get them to conserve.I believe it.Maybe $6.00.Summer is way off still, and gas just went up 25 cents in the past week and a half.$2.60/gallon cheapest in my town.Last summer , and now , and last year, most everyone passed me on the highway.I think I passed 3 vehicles all of last year going slower than me:)

I learned 30 or more years ago that driving fast ,and only going local, dosent save much time. So I dont often do it. Now ,if you need to go 1000 miles, driving fast is a time saver.Once again, time is money.