Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:58:15 -0800
Subject:      Re: [TDI-conversion] Fast Forward's "undercover" TDI project for
              the Vanagon
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com,

I would like to thanks to everyone for all the replies to the initial posting. There seems to be lots of questions, so I will answer them all in one email for the benefit of everyone:

Q - Is the injection pump mounted at a different than normal angle? It sure looks different than my dad's TDI engine in his Passat.

A - The earlier 1Z / AHU TDIs have the injector pump mounted differently. There is nothing "trick" about the pump installation.

Q - The oil filler hap on the valve cover is missing! How about filling the oil? Where was that moved to?

A - The original oil filler cap sticks up quite high, so I sealed off that opening. Oil can be added to the system by removing the back cap on top of the cartridge style oil filter.

Q - You indicate on www.fastforward.ca that the ALH/BEW/BEV 1.9L TDI motor can be modified up to 137hp. Could one get 137hp power with the ALH "under the cover" setup?

A - The ALH can be easily modified to more than 137hp by changing injectors and increasing the boost to compensate for more fuel. The reference to the 137hp engine is the 2.0L Passat engine. So, yes, one can certainly get 137hp or more with the "under cover" setup - remember it isn't horse power that you drive with, it's the torque! At 140hp you have almost 350ft.lbs of torque! :-) Currently I am building an ALH TDI with the larger turbo from the V6 Audi, some genuine Bosch R-TDI nozzles plus some custom software. My goal is for a very "relaxed" 150hp and 350ft.lbs of torque - this combo can be pushed to over 200hp but I don't want to overstress the engine.

Q - 30mph, is that US or Imperial.

A - Good question, and that is why I hate using the "non-Metric" system. My average for my very heavy Syncro Tristar is 8.5L per 100km. This is about 27 US MPG or about 33 Imperial MPG. I have US customers saying they get more than 30 US MPG. It all really depends on how fast you drive and what you drive.

Q - Is there a loss in ground clearance?

A - You are looking at the skid plate on a Syncro being about 1 to 1.5" lower than stock. Nothing too significant and after polling a lot of people, much more desirable than modifying the engine cover.

Q - Is the immobilizer system retained with the install?

A - It depends on what ALH motor you use. There are three types of ALH engines. All pre 2000 model year do not have an IMMO. 2000 and 2001 (IMMO2) can be eliminated via a software upgrade to the ECU (like this installation). 2002 and 2003 (IMMO3) can not be eliminated.

Q - Does it utilize an OBD port?

A - Most certainly! When I do a conversion, it is done correctly! With out the OBD port you would have no way of fine tuning the running of the engine or in the event of a sensor failing, no way of checking fault codes. The OBD port is under the rear seat next to the ECU that is in the stock location.

I hope I didn't miss any questions!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

Internet http://www.fastforward.ca Email sales@fastforward.ca

- Engine Conversions and Accessories for classic water-cooled Volkswagens - Electrical harness fabrication and customization

Due to the large quantity of email we receive, please include previous email correspondence when replying. This will allow us to read the full dialogue in one message so that we may provide you a quicker and more accurate response.