Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:28:02 -0500
From:         Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear speaker pods
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <RKoerner@avantmedical.com>

Ok, never mind. I figured out exactly what you were talking about. I figured I'd try it and hope I did it right, and it worked like a charm. Got the old driver out of there (the gorund wire was broken - explains why the speaker didn't work at all! Good to go for installing the new speakers...

Thanks for the tip. It worked out great.

On 3/31/06, Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@gmail.com> wrote: > Rich: > > I'm a little confused as to what you're referring to as the seam > lines. I This is pretty much one piece of molded plastic - the only > seam is where the front grille is glued onto the box, which is not > halfway back on the pod but more like 10% back on the pod. I see you > also have an '85 GL, so I would think they would be exactly the same, > so perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying... > > Ok, update.. I took a hacksaw to it and sawed it apart at the seam > line. You had to remove the front grille to get at the speaker to > remove it, is what you are saying? I had hoped to preserve the > grille, but I guess the tweeter covers will look better anyway... > > Thanks, > Luke > > On 3/31/06, Richard Koerner <RKoerner@avantmedical.com> wrote: > > Luke, > > I cut mine apart with a bandsaw, very carefully, right along the seam > > line between the front and back halves. Four cuts, on each of the four > > sides. Take your time watch your fingers! (Could probably do the same > > job with a hacksaw; much safer albeit slower.) Inside, the speakers are > > "molded" into the front half; used diagonal cutters to remove "web" to > > take out old speakers. I epoxied in new speakers on their mounting > > face, and then epoxied the two case halves back together. Turned out > > real nice; could also neatly apply black electrical tape along seam line > > to hide it, but I didn't need to do that. > > > > Rich > > '85 GL Vanagon > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Luke Sponholz [mailto:lukesponholz@GMAIL.COM] > > Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 9:11 AM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Rear speaker pods > > > > Hello all - > > > > Happy Friday. > > > > I am installing new separate component speakers all around in my '85 GL. > > I > > had thought it would be nifty to use the speaker pods in the back to > > house > > the tweeters, but when I pulled one down yesterday it appears they went > > out > > of their way to make it an inaccessible self-contained unit. Anyone > > have > > any luck getting one of these things open? Any tricks? > > > > Otherwise I guess I'll just have to improvises my own speaker pods for > > the > > tweeters - what a shame! > > > > -Luke > > > > -- > > 1985 Brown Vanagon GL 4spd "Compost" > > > > > -- > 1985 Brown Vanagon GL 4spd "Compost" >

-- 1985 Brown Vanagon GL 4spd "Compost"