Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:33:39 -0800
From:         Rajesh Injety <wolfvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      (solution)Re: Instrument cluster speedometer needle break.
              #%@#%@#$%@!!!!

Larry is right!

remove the cluster from the dash, remove the electrical ribbon tape from the speedo side, remove the speedo from the cluster. then(you guess it) remove the needle. it is firmly pressed on the stem that comes up from behind the face of the gauge. your best bet is to use something to pry it of with as much even pressure as possible(needle nose pliers under-neath to pry the needle up)... practice on one from your local automotive recycling center(junk yard) if you can. Good Luck!!

Raj 88 Wolfsburg Ed. GL---Gretchen

Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM> wrote: If I recall, the needle is a press fit on the shaft and should pull straight off. You might want to try it on a junk/donor speedo first.

Larry A.

I just finished working on my instrument cluster. I had cleaned it up nicely and I was putting it back together when I broke the needle on the speedometer!! grrr!!! It's still got about 2/3 of the needle but it looks ridiculous. Is there anything I can do at this point? I can't imagine it would be possibel to get a replacement needle from VDO or even be able to disassemble it to the point where I could replace it.

Man!

-Luke

1985 Brown Vanagon GL 4spd "Compost"

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.