Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:17:25 -0400
From:         Michael Amato <amatoclinic@NTELOS.NET>
Subject:      Auxiliary Battery Installation

I seldom post on this list as I have minimal mechanical skills and therefore have little to contribute, but have benefited greatly from this list. I want to put an auxiliary battery in my '85 Westy GL. I have read a lot about it in the archives, but have not been able to find blow by blow instructions of how to simply put in the relay that you can purchase from Bus Depot. I don't need to put in a charger or inverter. I have e-mailed the Bus Depot who responded very quickly (thanks BD!) with the wiring diagram that they send out with this relay. Since I am not very mechanical I took it to my VW guy, who by his own admission has only put in a few of these, and he had some questions about this diagram and installing auxiliary batteries this way in general. His questions were as follows:

1. Is there a particular point on the fuse panel to connect to (i.e. a certain terminal with a letter or a number)? 2. Is there an auxiliary fuse box? If not, how to isolate and power those components that you want? 3. Wouldn't heavier gauge wire, by 1 or 2, be better than what is supplied?

So I am hoping that someone can give me blow by blow instructions of how to install this thing to give to my mechanic and also answer his questions. I am hoping to be able to power my lights, stereo, and possible some 12v stuff. If my questions seem really simple and dumb I thank you for your patience.

Thanks,

Mike

Staunton, VA