Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:43:06 -0700
From:         Daryl Christensen <aatransaxle@DIRECWAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: turbo?

Jakes correct...stock AFM..S hose just moved to a differnt direction..The pressure side runs back by the coolant bottle and arond by the air cleaner.. I just cut the exh pipe fron the collector to the cat and routed it up to the turbo...10 minutes and I can have it all back to the stock configuration. So far the mixture has seemed OK as it sits..I do have an additional injector setup, but haven't needed it. The oil feed comes fron the oil press swx by the pulley via a T and the return goes down to the oill filler tube bottom. I did it all when the eng was out. I got this van as a basket case and it had a fresh eng sitting there, so I said to myself...Self...why not put a turbo on it... So far so good...Daryl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 2:07 PM Subject: Re: turbo?

The injectors supply fuel at the request of the Air Flow Meter: so more air, more fuel. The oxygen sensor adds its second opinion after the fact and all is well. A turbo or supercharged motor makes more power because it is being stuffed with more than its natural capacity of mixture . At 5psi of boost, Darryl's motor is using 30% more air, the equivalent of a 2.7 litre or so.

On 4/3/06, Wil Haslup <whaslup@gmail.com> wrote: > > Jake de Villiers wrote: > > Looks like it draws through the OEM AFM ( Is that from an Arlo Guthrie > > song?) so that the mixture is factory-correct, then sweeps across the > > back of the compartment to stuff it into the intake manifold. Simple > > and effective, and safe too, in that all the ECU data-gathering and > > correction pieces are fullyf functioning. > > Oh! okay, I get it.... > > Now that I'm seeing the air path, even though the AFM/mixture is factory > shouldn't this run rich since it'll be reading % more air...or is the > idea to just jam air in at the same ratio to fuel igniting more in the > same stroke? > > I thought the idea of a turbo actually made it lean inside the cylinder > and provided cleaner burn by more Oxygen...is that off? > > > > -- > > Wil > > "Nothing worse could happen to one than to be completely understood." > -- Carl Gustav Jung >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com