Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:01:41 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ebay CV "kit"....is it any good?
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>

No kidding Chris, it really is stupid beyond belief. Instead of saying 'Sorry Ben, I wasn't thinking" Salmon spends hours at the keyboard trying to justify his remarks!

Come on Ron, just apologise and leave it at that.

Jake de Villiers

On 4/4/06, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: > > On 4/4/06, The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com> wrote: > > > This is nuts. Let me be very clear here, so we can put this to rest, > because > > Ben's reaction is simply inconsistent with my remarks. > > > > 1) Since when it simply calling something Chinese "resorting to a > label"? > > China is a country, not a derogatory term. Nothing I stated even > remotely > > implied otherwise. This implication came from Ben, not me. > > This is EXACTLY what you said: > > "This is probably a thinly veiled way of saying that they are Chinese > made. > Be very, very cautious about using Chinese made parts on your Vanagon. > There > are some decent Chinese made auto parts, but so far they are the exception > rather than the rule. The majority (so far) are lousy, and nowhere near > German quality." > > I realize that English is a second language to me. My understanding of > "The majority (so far) are lousy..." is derogatory. Until you made > mention of the parts being probably Chinese, I did not even connect > them with China. > > > 2) It would indeed be prejudicial to assume that anything Asian is > > automatically Chinese, but that isn't what happened. My statement that > the > > Asian made CV joints were probably made in China was based on specific > > knowledge of the industry, in that China is currently the largest Asian > > supplier of these. See full text below. > > You did not have a set of these particular CV's in your hand. So when > you made the above reference, you pre-judged that country of origin. > > > 4) The Bus Depot, since its inception, has been a strong contributor to > > charities whose missions are to unite our world, not divide it - to > > eradicate prejudice in the United States, and to provide worldwide > > humanitarian aid based strictly on human need rather than race, > religion, > > nationality, or politics. A percentage of every Bus Depot purchase goes > > toward this goal, and has since our very first day in business. Not all > > retailers can say that. See the following section of our website: > > Give me a break! It is not ok for you to say anything you want just > because you contribute to some organization. > > > 5) I myself am partially of Asian descent (first generation American on > one > > side of the family), so it would be quite strange for me to be > prejudiced > > against Asians. > > I'll bet you have never been mistaken for Chinese and asked why your > country makes such lousy car parts. I've heard them all, Ron. > > > I have copied my last post below, unedited. I think it is self > explanatory, > > and I do not believe that it reflects even the slightest bit of > prejudice > > whatsoever. If anyone has any doubt, please read it and judge for > yourself. > > It is unfortunate that some people are simply over-sensitive to racial > > issues, and find racism where none exists. Sorry, Ben but you're barking > up > > the wrong tree. I don't doubt that your indignation is heartfelt, but > it's > > misplaced. This is my last comment on this subject on-list, as it has > > diverged far from the subject of Vanagons. > > Well, you know, all you had to do was retract what you said or > reformat your subsequent comments. Instead you chose to defend the > position that it is ok to label a majority of parts made in China as > "...lousy (so far)". > > I find your comment offensive and your response disgusting. If you are > not Chinese, please don't bother sending me a comment that you were > not offended. > > > BenT >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com