Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:26:41 +0000
From:         Robert Smythe <r3tr0v1ru5@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Need AT final drive seal replacement pointers

Cover me! I'm goin' in!

I believe I have all the replacement seals and fluid required to perform this job, but the bentley manual shows everything clean, disassembled, and liberally sprinkled with special tools. I am seeking counsel from someone who has done the repair sufficient to keep the ATF out of the gear oil. I dont like the idea of scrambling to find a machine shop with a press open on sat/sun. My skill level is somewhere between novice and intermediate. Im taking it on because I cant afford the quote I got to do the work. I might just learn something.

Specific questions:

I have 2 of the pinion seals, but do I need to remove the pinion from the final drive to r&r the seals? From the drawing in bently page 39.57 it looks as if the pair of seals are accessible after the AT is removed, UNLESS they are very tightly bound between the cover plate and the oil seal sleeve.

If I do have to remove the pinion, do I have to check end play and be prepared to shim as indicated in bentley? ( I didn't actually buy parts to cover this)

I was tentatively planning to remove the ATF cooler from the tranny before dismounting the AT and let it dangle from the coolant lines to avoid bleeding the cooling system. Possible? Dumb idea?

Any firsthand experience will be greatly appreciated. I promise to make lots of photos and a procedure available, should I succeed. If I fail, my specific failure procedure wont be interesting I reckon.

Robert 90 MV AT-wishing I had a 4speed manual