Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:08:28 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Exhaust gaskets... sealer?
Comments: To: Mike Bucchino <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

Very nice gaskets! Too bad I already spent *last* Sunday getting rid of my exhaust leaks. :-)

I used the OEM gaskets that Bus Depot sent me with the complete exhaust kit (no sealer) and the ol' bus runs so quietly now, I can hear all the other squeaks and groans again! The old gaskets were badly rusted away, if I have to do it again, I'm going to give copper a shot.

The big leak turned out to be where the two headers come together at the collector; (that pipe with the O2 sensor in it on 1.9 engines like mine). One of the gaskets was blown out (toward the inside, between the two incoming header pipes). Fortunately, this joint had been taken apart in the past and reassembled with stainless hardware, so it wasn't too difficult to get it apart again. Looking at the fit of the pipes, I can see why Ken Wilford said he uses some Walker sealer there (if it doesn't hold, I'll try that next time, Ken).

I had a rusted through muffler strap, and a hole in top of the muffler, so those got replaced as well, as did the collector and O2 sensor. The collector pipe was solid, but the bracket for the mounting bars had rusted clean off, so the new pipe went on. Since I had a new O2 sensor 'in stock', I decided not to try and wrestle the old one out (I'll give it a shot at my leisure, and keep the old one as a spare if I can get it out).

So, I guess the job went about as well as expected, everything is new except the cat, tailpipe and the two headers, and the hardware is now stainless everywhere except at the heads. I'm just as glad I could leave the headers in place, because I did *not* want to deal with the rusty studs at the heads this close to camping season.

The only thing I wasn't happy with was the replacement muffler strap... Ron doesn't include one in his kit because OEM straps are NLA. I got an aftermarket strap from California Import Parts... and it didn't even begin to hold onto the muffler until I bent the heck out of it. As far as I can tell, the strap is just too long, and compared to (what little is left of) the old strap, it looks flimsier than the OEM part; but it is definitely better than nothing.

Now I'm all ready for that long drive down to EveryBus!

Tim

At 05:35 PM 4/4/2006 -0400, Mike Bucchino wrote: >These are the gaskets I'm referring to; > >http://www.bugcity.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNEW.cgi/mi=yes/srchcd=2512 > >Or these Gene Berg ones look good too; > >http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=200664 > > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Mike Bucchino" <mbucchino@charter.net> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:08 PM >Subject: Fw: Exhaust gaskets... sealer? > > >> Has anyone tried using the thick solid copper racing exhaust gaskets? >>They can be installed/ replaced with out removing the exhaust header from >>the studs due to slotted bolt holes. I believe that they're also >>available >>in larger diameter port openings, which would work out well with the >>Vanagon >>ports. >> Als, what about Copper-Coat? I've heard of this copper-based sealant >>that's used by heavy equipment mechanics for gasketless exhaust joints. >>Just wondered if anyone has experience with using either of these on >>Vanagons or anything else for that matter....... >> >>Mike B. >> >> >>>>OK, quick question... one I don't recall seeing addressed here. What >>>>sealer (if any) should be used on the various exhaust gaskets for a 1.9 >>>>engine? >>>> >>>>Tim