Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Apr 2006 15:26:34 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [T2] Distributor for electronic ignition
Comments: To: Mike Jeffrey <oldbus@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

Mike -

It would probably easier to answer this question if I knew if your Vanagon was:

1. Air Cooled or Water Cooled? This changed in mid year 1983.

2. If Air Cooled, Federal or California Model? Air Cooled Federal Models came with Points, California models w/Factory Hall Electronic Ignition. Water Cooled all came w/Factory Hall Electronic Ignition.

It boils down to this. If you have an Air Cooled Federal Vanagon, the answer is probably. But remember, the SVDA (Bosch 0231 170 034) currently sold is designed for use in Upright 1600 engines, it's advance curves are close enough, but not exactly the same as the original distributor (Bosch 0231 170 093). In addition the Cylinder #1 Mark on the distributor case edging is 180 degrees opposite of the original distributor, so your true #1 mark is 180 degrees off - you have to file a new mark to reference this. And yes, this distributor will accept the aftermarket Pertronix or Compu-Fire Electronic Igntion Systems.

If you have a Air Cooled California 83 or a Water Cooled 83.5, then your distributor should already be Hall Electronic Ignition. The SVDA will not work in it's place because of how the Ignition System is used to provide the Tachometer signal to the Fuel Injection ECU (Brain). You must use an original distributor and it's components for this set up. That's not to say that with a bit of electronics knowledge and savvy that it could probably be modified to be used with the points style distributor, but to me it's more work than it's worth.

Final note - if you do have the Factory Electronic Ignition, I don't believe the mounting plate(s) on these distributors accept either the Petronix or Compu-Fire as a drop-in replacement. However, I believe the Crane Ignition System offers such a beast (at least they did years ago when it was known Allison before they were bought out by Crane Cams). But the Crane System costs about as much as the factory replacement Hall Unit Kit for these distributors.

See my webpages for further distributor info:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#V8083CA

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#V8083FD

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#V8384 -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 4/6/06, Mike Jeffrey <oldbus@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hello! > I know very little about this... are there different distributors for > electronic ignition and for points? > Specifically, will the SVDA distributor at CB Performance ( > http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1348) work with a 1983 > Vanagon? > Bus Depot lists the same distributor for a range of buses ranging from > 1950 > to 1983... but the shop my bus is at tells me that the distributor I > bought > is for points, not electronic ignition. > Would somebody mind educating me a bit? > Thanks! > Mike. >