Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:05:08 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for Grab handle packing ??
Comments: To: hunnam <rayjen@pnc.com.au>

On 4/11/06, hunnam <rayjen@pnc.com.au> wrote: > > Hi all > > Wanting to installing a grab handle above the middle window, drivers side. > There are four holes pressed into the sheet metal above the window that > can > accommodate the packing pieces ( screw grommets )that you screw the handle > into to anchor it. I have seen other Vanagons with nuts welded behind the > holes to accommodate the screws however mine does not have these. > > VW Australia claims it does not have the straight packing pieces that > would > allow the handle to be attached. They can only supply those packing > pieces > for the door frames which are curved to fit the frame. > > My first question does anyone have any spare straight sided packing > pieces, > in black of course, or have a part number for them.

Ray, I will check my parts van tomorrow and see if I can get these pieces for you. I was under the impression they are just screwed on with sheet metal screws.

Second question. Drivers inboard seat armrest. The winding mechanism > doesn't work. The armrest hangs like a limp you know what, could be the > long > bolt has parted from the seat frame. I have removed the screw under the > winding knob but cannot remove the plastic surround on the underside of > the > rest. Does the winding knob pull off?? Any ideas on a fix would be > gratefully appreciated.

If you have not completely removed the adjusting knob. STOP immediately. The armrests are held in place by a roll pin. You can drive the pin out with a flat tipped drift. The pivot point itself is screwed into the frame of the seat with either an Allen (hex) head or a Phillips (crosshead) machine screws depending on vintage of your seats. When one of these screws comes off or breaks, you will experience the floppy armrest syndrome. If the screws have are just loose or have come off, you can put replace it or tighten them with a pair of needle pliers. Simply push the seat upholstery until you can see the screws. If they have broken off, you will need to drill them out which requires the aforementioned pivot pin removal.

It you've managed to unscrew the adjusting knob all the way off, the only solution would be to pull the upholstery off the armrest, cut the foam and re-thread the adjusting rod into the free floating bolt inside the plastic guide within the armrest itself. Please elaborate further concerning how far you've disassembled the armrest.

Please no flames about looking in the archives I have already tried but have > not had much luck with the information required.

You've been around long enough to know the drill.

Pmail me if you wish.

Cheers,

BenT

San Francisco, California (but you know that already!)