Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:41:06 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Engine - Follow-up
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@umich.edu>

On 4/10/06, Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@umich.edu> wrote:

Jon,

> Tim > > i find it amusing about the issue with the valve adjusting screws you > mentioned. that cost several hours of billable time on the gowesty engine > given that it failed 50 miles from home. gowesty told me that they had > never heard of such a problem and refused to compensate the customer from > what the customer told me.

This is b.s. of they didnt compensate them.. when did this happen? (i.e. how many years ago or was it just recently) If it was several years ago, I might see the point, but when I brought the issue up, they were straight with me, apologized, sent me a batch of new screws and valve cover gaskets and also gave me store credit for the amount of $$ that I had to shell out to get a local shop to fix it. I did one of them myself, but the other two times it happened to me, I couldnt get the screw out without removing the whole rocker arm assy. so I had a local shop do it for me (approx $50-$75 depending upon what else I had them do) cant remember.

Havent had the issue since (knock on wood) and it was only on the l.h. side of the engine (viewed from the rear)

> everone makes mistakes and experiences part failures. how they stand > behind their product is how i measure them.

exactly.. again, what was the timeframe, recently?

I know they were having a heck of a time getting screws that wouldnt fracture. In fact, they were sending them back out for rehardening/testing, which showed me they sincerely wanted to address the problem, but denying it is not right, unless they completely fixed the issue.

-tim